Old Firehouse #1
The Old Fire House in the Mission style was completed by local contractor Fred Howell in May 1920 at a cost of $7,900. Kirkwood had recently voted to establish a paid Fire Department to replace the Kirkwood Volunteer Fire Department. This dedicated volunteer group had been established in 1904 when the Armory on the northeast corner of Kirkwood Road and Adams burned. Coincidentally, this occurred the night the St. Louis World's Fair opened in May of 1904. In 1918, the Volunteer Fire department announced they would disband, but would continue service until the paid force was established. Messenger Printing now occupies this building and the Old Post Office Building next door.
Historic Kirkwood Landmarks Produced by the City of Kirkwood Landmarks Commission